Saturday, January 31, 2009

All the Potatoes Were On the Table


Today was the day, day one of coached training.  The team met this morning at 11:30 on the track over by 6th St. and the FDR.  I arrived early and chatted with some of the team.  From what i understand it was "real feel" 10 degrees out there.  Ramon showed up and sent us out for a 15 minute warm up, his instructions were to head out slow and get our legs warmed up.  We ran by the site where they're building the set for the big air competition and had the snowblowers give us a little shower.  Back on the track Ramon explained what the goal of the work was and how it would go down.  The idea was to find your maximum heart rate.  We did this by hitting the track and doing a variety of sprints.  Everyone checked their watches to make sure we were getting a heart rate reading and we started.  The first 3 rounds were 300 yard sprints with the idea of raising your heart rate to max.  We didn't run 400 yards b/c the southern part of the track was all ice.  After 3x300, we switch to 2 min of hard running, same idea, get your HR to the max.  We did 3 rounds of this, then did a 4 min. hard run, followed by a 6 minute one.  I'll be honest I have run this hard since I was trying to beat out a grounder in softball tourney back in Chilli-Vegas, oh and I pulled my hamstring on that 60 foot sprint.  I was able to get my heart rate consistently over 180, which was okay, i think...  We will utilize these numbers as a baseline for our training, getting workouts based upon a percentage of max heart rate.  This also was a good reminder about why i do triathlons, b/c at no point do i have to sprint, other than maybe the last 10 yards.  All in all, it was actually pretty fun, I enjoyed the challenge and like to push myself.  We'll see how the legs feel tomorrow. Oh, and 210 days, until race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment