Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Nice Easy Run


i'd like to start with a slight addition to yesterday's entry, first, read this blog for content, not for grammar and spelling, i know i'll make some errors, but this is about my progression, not an english lesson. Also, i'd like to add, this blog is as much a training tool for me as it is entertainment for all of you. I'll need to keep track of my progress as i work towards 8/30, and this will be an easy way to track it.
okay, on to today. Throughout the day i think about what type of workout i do each night. right now i don't have a real training plan, that will probably arrive later in the week, so for now, it's just about getting out, running, swimming and cycling. Last night i went for a run and I usually don't run on consecutive days, but it was over 40 degrees in the NYC today. So I bolted from work like Fred Flintstone at 5, went to see my friends Patty and Susie to get cleaned up, grabbed a quick snack and got ready for a run. Like i said it was over 40 degrees so i wanted to take advantage of the "warm" weather and go for a run. I laced up the sneaks, grabbed my ipod and headed out the door. I'm going to try to use my heart rate monitor during these workouts as it helps provide some measurable items. I have some regular running routes from my apt., most of them are along the West Side Highway path b/c it's about 100 yards outside my front door. Tonight i was doing my most common 4 mile route that starts at my apartment, i head north about 2 miles to here, then turn around and come back. The goals of these runs are to keep my heart rate/breathing under control and negative split the run. if you aren't familiar, the negative split is running the 2nd half of the run faster than the 1st. Tonight I ran out in 18 min and ran back in 18, so that's okay, but i didn't get the negative split. the HRM monitor also provides calories burn, it's an estimation based on my height, 6'1 on a good day, weight, 215 lbs, yeah the christmas cookies were good to me, and heart rate during the workout. According to the monitor i burn about 600 calories tonight, seems a little high to me, but whatever.
I heard from coach Ramon this morning, sounds like we will be getting together this week to get things going. After I meet with him, i'll have more structure in my workouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment