Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Weekend


It's Monday night and after a great weekend, it's time to reflect.  I didn't train very much this weekend, technically not at all.   This weekend I was invited to head to a friend's family's house on Shelter Island.  Your first though might be, why head to a summer home spot when it's freezing cold in NYC?  It was a great chance for me to get out of the city for a few days and just relax.  We made it out late Friday night, the trip included driving my truck onto a ferry and cruising across the Long Island Sound to Shelter Island.  My weekend consisted of building fires, eating, eating more and relaxing.  It was a great time.  I also got a great history lesson about my good friend Tom and Nina's families.  Tom is from England, every time we get together, it gives me a chance to ask a lot of questions about England, what his upbringing was like, college, etc.  Nina is from an equally interesting family.  Nina's family has a long history in politics and more recently in religion.  I saw some incredible old pics of her grandfather with JFK, RFK and even Ted!  I love history, and was really turned on by the history lesson.  
This is training blog, right, so here we go.  I got back to the city about noon, was wiped from all the sleeping i did this weekend, so i decided to take a nap and finishing sleeping off last night's margaritas and beers.  I finally made it on to my trainer, rode for a hour and then channeled my inner Rocky IV, and headed out in the snow for a run.  Lucky for me i wont' be fighting any Russians during this training, just regularly challenged by a Spaniard.  This combo workout is affectionately know as a BRick.  For those that don't know, it's called a BRick b/c the bike and run combo and also your legs feel like bricks when you're done.  This was a baby BRick, as i only did about an hour on the bike and about a half hour run.  Also, this is good practice to prep your legs for race day to deal with the adjustment from hours on the bike then running right away.  It wasn't too cold tonight and the path on the West Side Highway was basically empty, so i was left with some good music and my thoughts.  A good way to start the week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment