Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New President and a Solid Run


Today was a big day in American History, President Obama was sworn in today.  I'm not going to get into any great discussion about politics or how great Obama maybe as a president.  I am excited about the change and I hope he can step up to the great challenges that are ahead of him.
On to tonight's workout.  I know I need to focus on my run as it is my weakest part in a triathlon.  Tonight I decided to head out for a run.  As usual, I laced up my sneaks, strapped on my ipod and headed out to the path on the West Side Highway.  I decided to do 6 miles tonight and hopefully negative split the run.  I called upon two of Brooklyn's finest to provide some motivation for my run.  I'd be remiss if I didn't take this opportunity to thank another one of Brooklyn's finest, my good friend, the Grand Poobah of the blog, Brian Bell.  He's been schooling me like a young Skywalker in the way of the blog.  He's one of my oldest friends, we go back to when whiffle ball was a game and kids rocked painter caps.  He does some creative blogging, you should check it out here and also check out some great work he does with his main squeeze here.  All joking aside, he has been very helpful to me in creating this blog.  
Okay, enough witht he fluffy stuff, back to the workout.  Fueled by Biggie and Jay, I trudged through a strong headwind on my way out and did my first 3 miles in 29 minutes, kind of slow, but my legs were tight and the wind was strong.  I finally got loose and made it back in 26 minutes.  The return trip was unquestionable wind aided, I felt like Tyson Gay at the Olympic trials, but I'll take it, I needed the help to get me to my goal of the negative split.  I wore the HRM and it said i burned 924 calories.  Once again, i'm not sure i believe this, but i'll take it. 

A big part of endurance events is having a strong core.  I started working out the core tonight, i banged out some crunches and did some pushups for good measure.  All in all, it was a good workout, I felt good on the 2nd half of the run.

1 comment:

  1. Celebrity Status!!!!

    .....that wiffle ball pitcher is insane!

    bb

    ReplyDelete