Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Two For Tuesday


I'll actually start this with Monday night's workout.  We usually have an evening team practice on Monday but due to the holiday, the coached practice was moved to a morning swim up at Riverbank.  Unfortunately for me, i had to work so i missed the a.m. swim.  there was a group session in Central Park that night, but I chose to run on my own from my apartment.  the run workout for Monday was a series of out and back runs with pickups built into the run.  if this doesn't make sense, it was basically running hard for a certain distance then slowing the pace, then picking it up and so on.  I obviously didn't need the park to do this run, so I headed out on the West side Highway Path.  My knees and ankles were pretty sore from Saturday so I wanted to get warmed up before i started my pickups .  I'm a person that likes to know how long or how far of a workout I'm doing and tonight i didn't really have that.  I kind of felt like Forrest Gump, i just started running.  It took me over 3 miles to finally start to feel good, my legs got loose and my knees and ankles warmed up.  I got to 60th St. which is about  4 miles from my apartment and was feeling great.  After I made the turn to head back home, i knew I had these four miles to do my pickups.  I did these pickups by running hard for a few street lights, then slowing the pace for a few.  I continued this for my 4 miles home.  I logged about 8 miles in total and was out there for about a hour and a quarter.  By no means a blistering pace, but it was a good amount of time on my feet.
Okay, onto to my Two for Tuesday.  Unlike every classic rock station that was playing two tracks from the B side of Dark Side of the Moon, I was doing two workouts today.  My morning started at about 5:30 with a ride on my trainer.  Ramon's workout today was what he called a pyramid ride.  I rode on the big chain ring in the front and worked my way up and down my rear chain ring.  I spent about 30 seconds in each gear and did this progression 4 times.  I had a 10 minute warm up to start, the pyramid took about 35 minutes and cooled down for 10 minutes.  I clocked just short of a hour this morning.  Tonight i hit the pool for some more work on technique.  I knew I'd be in the pool again on Thursday night, so i tried to not get caught up in distance, but work some good technique and drills.  I swam about 1600 yards working in a variety of drills and doing some  two beat kick as well.  the pool was crowded tonight, a lot of Chinese people and i was lucky enough to share a lane with a women who didn't share the same grooming habits of most American women.  I finished my swim and headed to Whole Foods to pick up some dinner.  They have a lot of great prepared foods; I opted for the roasted chicken, mac and cheese and veggies which included sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts.  As i waited in the annoying long line to check out i did see Nicole Ritchie; who knew she'd ever been seen in a place that has food...  It's been a good few days of "star sightings".  

No comments:

Post a Comment