Thursday, February 12, 2009

Two A Days


Today was my 2nd double dip workout of the week.  I woke up early this morning to do an endurance run.  My training schedule showed an endurance run and endurance swim for today.  I was up at 5:45 to do my run.  Motivation was very low this morning, I was sore from last night's run and would have rather stayed in bed.  My first dip into some internal motivation was provided by my newest cousin in law.  Ann had emailed me yesterday to find out about accommodations in Louisville for the race.  She also mentioned that she and my cousin Ryan had been waking up at 5:25 to workout.  Now I could have taken this two ways, one, the supportive if we can do it, you can do it, or the other, stop complaining about getting up early, we get up earlier than you and we're not doing an ironman.  I'm sure it was meant in a supportive way, but i needed the motivation so i considered both.  I may lob a little challenge back at them sometime soon.....  I got myself out of bed and out on the West side Highway path to do my 40 minutes.  It took all of 15 seconds to realize that this wasn't going to be very pleasant.  This brought me to motivator number two.  When i'm out there running, i try to set little goals, they usually involve trying to catch other runners that are out there with me.  I also try to create some rivalry with people, i happened across a guy running in a Michael Strahan jersey which was just what i needed.  My first thought was why would anyone be running in a football jersey, my 2nd thought is what would any adult male be wearing a jersey.  I have a real problem with men wearing jerseys, i just don't think it works because usually the guy is like 400 lbs and appears to never done anything athletic in his life.  if you wear a jersey, sorry it's just the way i feel.  I'm not even sure I like a girl in a pink version of her favorite teams jersey.  When i'm running i'm left with my thoughts.  This morning I was thinking what was the root of my hatred for men in jerseys and i figured out where this came from.  My freshman year in college there was this guy in my dorm who wore a Patrick Roy hockey jersey 3 days a week, strike 1.  He also used to sit in front of the dorm attempting to play a guitar, strike 2.  He wasn't good and i often considered pulling a Blutarsky on this guy.  The story gets better.  My good friend, we'll call him PD to protect his identity, also had a similar hated for this guy.  PD and i weren't really friends freshman year, so when we became friends the next year and discovered our similar feelings about this guy, it made our friendship stronger.  PD informed me that one day he couldn't take the crappy music anymore and shot this kid with a pellet gun.  God i wish i could have witness this.  I imagined it much like the JFK assassination and totally would have been the 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll if i had the chance.  We lived on the 3rd floor of our doom, so it took a good shot.  PD sized him up and shot him, i don't remember where he hit him, but it had to hurt.  I did remember that there was a specific point when the douchey Patrick Roy wasn't out there playing.  I have to thank PD for his efforts.  Anyway, back to the run, I ran down Michael Strahan this morning and finished my 40 min run covering just over 4 miles.  Over the next 6 months i'll be experiencing these types of workouts where I don't want to be out there and will need to call on some internal motivation.
I went to work, got home and headed out to the pool.  After my poor swim the other night, i decided to focus on doing more technique tonight by doing a variety of drills and working in some distance as well.  I did some finger tip dragging, catch up stroke, longer strokes and fist swimming.  I ended up swimming  1600 yards.  The drills work different parts of my stroke during the swim.  They work on elongating the body in the water, feeling the water with your hands and forearms and increasing efficiency.  My swim was better tonight and after the early morning, i felt pretty good about it.  I'm off tomorrow, but will be back at it Saturday morning.   

No comments:

Post a Comment