Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Double Dip



Unlike this kid, my double dip didn't involve any ice cream.  Today was my first morning/evening combo workout session.  I woke up at 5:45 this morning and dragged my sore butt out of bed.  I managed to get in a solid one hour ride before work this morning.  I spent some time doing drills on the bike.  Single leg riding, varying the rpms and changing gears to mix it up a little bit.  My legs were pretty sore when I woke up, but the biking did help loosen them up.  I showered and headed out to the office.  I stopped to grab a bagel after my hour commute, hopped out of my car and nearly fell into the street.  My legs got really tight on my hour ride out, even after some stretching post ride.  I'm pretty sure you would all be attending my funeral had my legs really given out b/c there was  a bus rolling down the block and i'm pretty sure it would have run me over had i fallen into the street.  
I hobbled around the office all day, headed out around 5 and dealt with a long snowy ride home.  After a hour and half commute, i got home, put on my bathing suit and headed out to the pool.  Tonight was my first night utilizing Coach Ramon's swim workout.  I did two sets of the following exercises.  2x100 yards, 2x200 yards, 1x400 yards, giving me a total of 2000 yards.  This is just over half the distance I'll be swimming in August.  Swimming is all about technique, my swimming experience, up until 3 years ago when i started doing triathlons, was cruising around a pool, basically doggy paddling.  Not much technique there.  From my first coach I learned a technique called a two beat kick.  The idea here is to utilize your hips, core and upper body to propel yourself through the water.  In triathlon you obviously need to save your legs so you can cycle and run.  I'm sure my form is far from perfect but I can propel myself through the water and get myself through any race swim, hopefully.  I've heard from many of my friends that are Ironmen about how much they ate during training, today was my first experience with this.  I was hungry all day, all day.  The biggest challenge I'll have with this hunger, is not resorting to eating slices of pizza and other garbage to help satisfy my hunger.

No comments:

Post a Comment