Thursday, March 19, 2009

Swim, Bike, Bike, Run and Bike


Those were my last 5 workouts.  Monday night we had our first "team swim".  We were up at Riverbank with the masses.  There were about 10 of my teammates there and another 100 people jammed into about 4 lanes.  Ramon was there and not coaching, wink wink.  He wasn't supposed to be coaching, as it is against their rules.  He really wasn't coaching per se, we'll call it giving pointers.  Having all those people in such few lanes didn't really allow for any consistent swimming, but I did my best, got some drills in and as the crowd lessened, it got a little better.  The funniest part of the night, or at least now looking back at it, was where i parked.  I was in this lot that was really shady.  the ticket they gave me appeared to be the only one they actually had.  I'm fairly certain, if i go back again, they will give me the same ticket.  this was a cash only business, but some of the cheapest parking in the city.  10 bucks for 2 hours, you can't beat it, my car was safe and sound when i got back, so what was i worried about???
Tuesday morning I woke up early and got an endurance ride in before work.  I was a little sleepy so i'm not sure i rode very hard.  I made up it for after work that night.  It was a nice day in the big city, so I joined a few of my teammates in Central Park after work.  We rode northern loops, which for those of you that aren't familiar, they include the biggest up and down hills in Central park.  We did four loops, standing for a couple and seated for a couple.  We then did a complete loop and and lower loop.  At that point it was starting to get dark so I headed home.  I got two solid hours of riding in that night, so I was pleased.  
Last night, the weather was very pleasant agin.  After work I headed out for a 6 mile run.  I wanted that negative split and ran some pick ups during my run.  I went covering the first 3 miles in 27 minutes and back in 25.  I got the negative split and felt really good coming back.  With the warm weather, it brings out all types on the West Side Highway Path.  I saw rollerbladers, all kinds of bikers, runners and even a guy on an electric skateboard.  NYC is full of people that must not have received much attention as children.  I say this b/c the cast of characters out "exercising" never ceases to amaze me.  The guy on the electric skateboard really took the cake.  I'm not so sure I think adult men should be on a human powered skateboard, but an electric one is not acceptable.  This guy, who was about 6'6 in shoes, was about 6'10 on this skateboard.  He had the biggest sh-t eating grin i've ever seen.  At this point i was really pushing it and his smile basically made  me want to punch him.  Lucky for him, his skateboard was motorized, so i couldn't catch him.  Between this guy and all the stupid rollerbladers, I had all the competitive/anger juices flowing and getting me moving down the path.
This evening was another trainer ride and another prescribed endurance ride.  In case you haven't heard, the NCAA basketball tourney is one, so I rode and watched some hoops.  This workout included utilizing all the gears on my bike and varying my effort in burst of output.  I felt good and rode for about an hour.  As the weather turns warm and I inch closer to race day, i'll be spending more and more time cycling.  With about half or more of the total race time spent cycling, i'll be logging many hours riding before 8/30.     

No comments:

Post a Comment