Monday, March 2, 2009

The Last Weekend in February


Last Friday was all personal, no training.  After work I signed a lease for new apartment.  Who knew going from 4 walls to 8 would be such a great thing.  I'm really looking forward to April 1 when i'm in my new digs.  After the lease signing I met up with my good friend Dr. A and his lovely wife Dr. A.  They were in town for a speaking engagement and had the weekend to relax here.  I met them for a beer then headed to bed to rest up for Saturday's workout.  
Saturday morning was a  7 a.m. start in Central Park.  Another tough workout concocted by Ramon.  We did our usual warm up and headed off to a pretty steep hill in the park.  This workout, as most are these days, about strength and speed.  We ran up this hill, it was about 300-400 yards at about 70%.  Once we reached the top of the hill, there was a small path that was another 300 yards or so.  We ran hard on this path, pushing it even harder than the uphill, followed by a recovery down to the bottom of the hill.  We did these loops for about 40 minutes, leaving me pretty spent.  My quads were totally blown out.  From here we did a slow jog for a mile or so, then turned it back up for a 1.2 timed mile back to Bethesda Terrace.  That was the end of the coached part.  From here, Ramon suggested that Lawrence and I do some additional miles.  We did another 3-4 miles and finished at my car at about 9:15.  I totally lucked out.  I was parked in a metered spot that you have to feed the meter by 9.  As I was walking up to the car there was a Meter Maid at my car about to give me a ticket.  Lucky for me, he didn't give me one.
Sunday I had a longer ride on the schedule.  I woke up not feeling so well and ended up sleeping the whole day.  I had "flu like symptoms", that's how NBA players are described when they are sick.  I'm not sure why, they just don't have the flu???  So no ride for me.  
Today I didn't go to work, spent most of the day sleeping/relaxing again.  By this evening, I was feeling a lot better and decided to brave the cold for a short run.  I was restless and needed to get out of my apartment.  I also knew it was going to be really cold for the next few days, so I wanted to get out there before it was to miserable.  There was a Nor'easter that dropped a some snow and ice and created a mess in the city.  All the melting/freezing will create a lot of ice out there, so i'll probably spend more time on my trainer and in the pool over the next few days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment