Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Busy Few Days


The honeymoon is over.  I like writing this blog, i find it almost therapeutic, the problem is, most nights I'm to tired to write.  After my post work, workout I'm more interested in eating and sleeping than writing.  Don't you feel sorry for me....  Anyway, on to the workouts. 
Tuesday evening I headed off to the pool for a technique workout.  I'm going to blame my poor performance on the fact that I was still not 100% from my previous days sickness.  It was all technique.  I did a series of drills with a low light of using a kickboard.  I'm fairly certain my 5 year old niece would be fast down the lane using a kickboard than me.  I also dusted off the pool buoy and used it as well.  The pool was pretty crowded and I never really got into a good rhythm.  
Yesterday I woke up early and rode before work.  It was a series of pick ups and recoveries which left me dripping.  I had to do a little mop up work after my ride.  After work I headed back to the pool for an endurance swim.  I wasn't in the greatest mood, so getting to the pool to work out my bad mood was much needed.  I had set out to swim at least 2000 yards.  I was using the buoy again and was feeling really good.  I think I had a minor epiphany with my swim stroke.  For as bad as I was Tuesday night, I was the opposite last night.  I ended up swimming 6, 500 yard sets finishing with a 200 yard set, giving me a total of 3200 yards or two miles.  Much like my 17 mile run a few weeks ago, this was a big confidence builder for me.  I'm fairly intimated by the 2.4 miles I'll be swimming for the Ironman, but this went a long way for my confidence.  
This morning was another trainer ride.  I'm thinking it's probably best for me just to get up every morning and ride.  Only waking up early a few days a week probably does more harm than good.  I did a real easy ride this morning, just got my legs moving and watched some ESPN.  This evening I ran with the Nike running group.  Nike sponsors runs a few days a week in NYC, you meet at Niketown and head out with a group.  There are a few distance options and pacers so it's a pretty organized group.  Ramon also is a coach for this group, so it's good to get in front of him another night during the week.  Tonight was a 6 mile loop in Central Park, the first mile was a warm up, followed by a tempo run for the last five miles.  I feel pretty good about what I ran for the five miles.  I would say it was the toughest five miles of the six mile loop.  Toughest equals most hills.  I had one of my teammates running with me and she really  set the pace for us.  I couldn't let her run away from me, so it was a good way to keep me going.  We did the 5 miles in 44 minutes.  I'm pretty happy with that effort.  Tomorrow I guess I'll wake up and ride, but it will be another easy one, as Saturday morning will be our first BRick and I want to have somewhat fresh legs.   

1 comment:

  1. oh hell, there are 1600 yards in a mile? i've been short changing myself on distances the past 3 weeks? i need to check my math. in your one sentence i thought you said you swam 6,500 yards. upon second reading i got it right, apparently i can't add or read, i'm on a roll tonight

    ReplyDelete